Honey Cinnamon Ice Cream
Home-made Ice Cream
One of our favorite things in the entire world (besides a cold beer) is home-made ice cream. The creaminess, richness, and flavor cannot be beat by making your own ice cream. Believe it or not it isn’t as hard as you think. By following a few simple tips and tricks you can make the most amazing ice cream that your family will be begging you to make day after day.
One of our favorite holiday ice creams is Honey Cinnamon Ice Cream. There is something amazing about the extra creaminess you get by using honey. It also helps balance the great spiciness from the cinammon.
You can make ice cream a lot of various ways but the process of churning your ice cream will ultimately determine the texture and creaminuess of your ice cream. We use a variation of this simple cuisinart ice cream maker.
We love ratios, it keeps things simple and predictable. And although we do stray away from this occasionaly it is easy to remember and a great starting point for all your recipes.
2 parts heavy cream – 2 cups
1 part whole milk – 1 cup
1/2 part sugar – 1/2 cup granulated sugar (or honey in this case)
5 egg yolks
1) Get a thermometer! This simple/cheap tool will allow you to precisely cook your custard without over cooking it
2) Tempering – Simply bringing 2 liquids to the same temperature slowly. Usually done by adding a hot liquid to eggs. If you add the eggs to quickly to boiling liquid the eggs will scramble.
3) Cook your custard to exactly 170 degrees and keep it there for 5 minutes
4) Even though you have done everything perfect, strain your custard to remove any cooked eggs
5) We know you want to eat that ice cream right away but you really should allow the custard to cool in the fridge overnight, it will allow the flavors to meld together and you will end up with a superior product.